If you didn’t have so much goddamn stuff you wouldn’t need a house. You could just walk around all the time.
This is stuff I have and stuff I give away.
Fits in a carry-on backpack, costs about 1500 € and weighs ~8 kg.
I try to strike a balance between quality and price, but tend to go for more well-designed and long-lasting equipment than cheap throwaway products.
This stuff is reasonably good for all-weather, and works for -10° C snowy Europe as well as 30° sunny South East Asia. I’m quite resistant to the cold though, so the exact jacket, pants or number of layers might vary for you.
Needs to be light, thin and have a great battery life. The build quality of the Samsung 900X3E (~1000 €) is incredible, and Linux works great on it.
Samsung Chromebook (300 €, 1500 g), but put ChrUbuntu on it.
Philips SHE9000 (28 €, 10 g) are great small, reasonably priced and well-designed in-ear headphones. The plug is angled for less obstruction and the cable is partly fiber-coated to prevent tangled cords. They are even useful on their own just for noise cancellation.
Moto G first generation, with CyanogenMod
Other than what I have with me, I need power & wifi of course. I prefer cafés (Coworfing) over coworkingspaces because both tend to be loud but cafés are less expensive and more flexible.
Mammut Ultimate Hoody (250 €, 540 g) is really good, light and I find myself wearing it all the time. It’s a bit expensive though. Would probably not get it again, but rather a simpler softshell jacket.
A standard dark grey longsleeve pullover (10 €, 290 g) from H&M. Useful for when it’s a bit colder, and the only longsleeve I have next to the jacket.
3 T-shirts (ea. 5 €, 130 g), preferably blank.
2 pairs of long pants (sometimes only one), Zara slim (40 €). Then a pair of shorts which can also be used for sports and swimming.
3 pair (10 €), simple.
Sandals, currently Unshoes Wokova Feather (50 €). Then a pair of simple sneakers for skateboarding or other occasions. I often just go barefoot.
A roof and floor to sleep, usually at friends, Nomadbases or short-time sublets.
When clothes need to be washed, I usually hand wash in the evening and let it dry overnight on a radiator.
- brush teeth
Dr. Best breath fresh (3 €) is the best toothbrush. Ergonomic handle, great brush, tongue scraper and more details. Plus any small toothpaste.
For showering I use a soap bar, preferably lipid balancing.
Packtowl M (17 €, 50 g) feels weird, but most places have towels and it’s a small one still useful for emergencies.
I prefer a clear roll-on without distinct scent.
Haircuts I do myself, and scissors are also useful to cut nails and in general for fixing up stuff. Still searching for a good one, but will probably be a small kids scissorcs with blunt tip so it can be carried on an airplane.
Merkur 23C safety razor. Much better than a cartridge razor.
For sneezing, fixing wounds, wiping and more.
shower & toilet
Haglöfs Corker 18l (60 €, 820 g) is a light, nice looking backpack with a good amount of compartments.
Other backpacks I considered but didn’t try are Deuter Speed Lite 20, Ortlieb Packman 20, Mammut Xeron Flip 22.
Fisher Space Pen and softcover Moleskine. Otherwise a bic pen, or any pen & paper.
Some cash, debit card, credit card, and a tan generator.
I rarely drive but the drivers license is good as small photo ID. And a passport for traveling.
Passes for insurance, vaccination, radiology & organ donation.
I love to bike so I always like using one wherever I’m at. I fixed up and gifted several bikes myself and usually someone has a bike they’re not using.
Excess stuff I still have I give away on a pay-what-you-want basis. It’s in Germany: If you’re around Bielefeld or Berlin I can bring it, or mail it anywhere if you pay the postage.
- laptop, old Toshiba Libretto 70CT, with external floppy drive
- typewriter, Remington Portable – from around 1920–1950 I guess
- Vibram Fivefingers classic, size 43/44
- Vibram Fivefingers KSO Trek Tex, size 43/44
- Xbox classic chipped+games, now played by Luis!
- skateboard for Insa to make rad flips!
- cajon Schlagwerk 2-in-1, for jamming at Thomas’ place!
- bike at Richard’s nomadbase!
- sleeping bag Rix Light 600 now traveling with Egor!
- backpack Ortlieb Track great for 3 years, now with Tilman!
- air mattress with integrated pump, for Richard to nap on!
- linocut tools go to Insa for furthering of the arts!
- clothing, a whole bunch for the folks of a-flat!
- laptop, old Dell Latitude C500 taken by Gerrit!
- headphones, Panasonic RP-DJ600 go to Pavlik!
- microphone, Beyerdynamic Opus 29S for Terkey’s friend!
- Gameboy classic with classic games, dibs called by Parker!
- Gameboy color with battery pack & game claimed by Lisa!
- adapter, power to USB, now powering Egor’s devices!
- camera tripod, vintage Velbon, will be used by Egor!
- briefcase, vintage leather, good choice by Julia!
- backpack, black Eastpak grabbed by Maxime!
- suitcase, vintage, now traveling with Jennifer!
- pocket knife Wenger EvoGrip 16, given to Sigrid!
- jacket corduroy, fitting for Thomas!
Thanks to everyone who already took something!